





Located in Bow Center, this farm was in close proximity to the Post Office, The Community Baptist Church, The Town Meeting Hall, a school house, a tavern, stores, and a blacksmith shop. Many of the activities which made Bow Center a hub of community have long since gone, but the buildings remain. The farmhouse at 93 Bow Center Road was owned at one point by Flanders Green, a selectman in Bow during the late 19th century. The barn could have been used as a carriage house, a shop for home based industry or even to house a few animals.
NHDHR Inventory Bow0042
Current Owner, Bill Stoney, is related to the original builder and residents of the house, Col. James Green (1778-1863.) and his wife Judith Colby (1777 – 1855). They are both buried in the Green Cemetery right across the street.
You have to go back 5 generations to Bill's great grandfather x5 John Colby Sr. (1749 -1805) as well as Willaby Colby (1745 - 1829) These two men were brothers, and the sons of Abraham Colby and Elizabeth Blaisdell, who settled from Amesbury, MA to Bow, NH back in 1768. It is Willaby's daughter, Judith who married Col. James Green.
We don't know precisely when the homestead was built, but in 1847 Col. James Green sold to the Town of Bow, the land on which the Old Town Hall now sits on. We do know that Benjamin T. Green (1837 - 1923) lived in the house in the late 1800's, because he is listed by name on an old 1892 map of Bow at the house's exact location. He is the son of Samuel R. Green (1806 - 1877), the oldest son of Col. James & Judith Green.
Everett and Lillian Welch lived in the house from at least the 1930's.. they were married about 1924 ... Everett passed about 1972, and Lillian lived to be 100 years old, and passed in 2001. Ben Green's wife, Anna J. Woodbury (1854 – 1930) passed right about the time the Welch's are known to have started living there... I don't believe Ben and Anna had any children so it is possible they purchased the home upon Anna's passing?
Owner: Bill Stoney
It should be noted that the round window over the entry doors was purchased and installed by present Owner: Bill Stoney 2022.
web design by "Tom Campbell Wilson"
studio-i19
photos taken June 2022 by
Eric Anderson: Photographer
Photo Taken standing on the Old Town Hall Site, looking at the front of the house with the church on Branch Londonderry Turnpike in the Back ground. Photo reads "Joseph E. Smith, Edna Smith, Ben Green"